If you’re a homeowner with a crawl space in the Roanoke and New River Valleys, then developing some know-how around mold prevention is key. The subtropical climate of Virginia has an average humidity of 78.6% which is slightly higher than the national average. Our hot, humid summers are the perfect environment for mold to flourish. Without the proper prevention your crawl space may be the perfect environment for it to thrive.
Luckily, there are preventative steps you can take to banish mold from your crawl space and prevent it from returning. Keep reading for our top tips for achieving and maintaining a healthier, mold-free crawl space.
Tips for Preventing Mold in Crawl Spaces
For many, a crawl space is out-of-sight, out-of-mind. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t affecting your quality of life. As much as 50% of all air in your household emanates from your crawl space. If the space under your house is moldy, then you could potentially be breathing in harmful spores every day. That’s why its important to take preventative measures.
- Inspect for leaks: It’s no secret that mold loves a damp environment. The first step to take in addressing mold is to inspect your crawl space for leaks in the foundation, pipes or vents.
- Adjust your gutters: Ensure that your gutters are clean and collecting rainwater properly. Clogged gutters can lead to overflow, dumping water around the foundation of your home.
- Reroute rain water: Speaking of rain water, it’s important to ensure you have a system to divert unwanted water away from your foundation. If your gutters and downspouts aren’t enough, you may need to install French drains or a sump pump.
- Check your vents: venting a crawl space was thought to encourage air circulation and prevent mold. But sometimes they function in just the opposite manner by allowing heavy, humid air into the crawl space, which encourages mold growth. Seal vents to prevent excess moisture from entering.
- Use a dehumidifier: A dehumidifier is an excellent defense against mold. It works hard to pull excess moisture from the air and condense it into water that can either be dumped or pumped away from your home.
- Use a vapor barrier: Vapor barriers are large, high-quality sheets of plastic installed on the floor of your crawl space to create a waterproof barrier between the ground and your home. They are considered the first line of defense in condensation control.
- Encapsulate Your Crawl Space: Crawl space encapsulation is the ultimate preventative measure against a moldy crawl space. An encapsulation addresses mold by removing any damaged materials like insulation, treating existing mold, and then sealing your entire crawl space with heavy-duty vapor barrier to create a self-contained environment.
Contact Crawl Space Care
The best way to prevent mold in your crawl space is to call an expert. An experienced professional can quickly identify the most pressing issues in your crawl space and recommend the best methods for addressing them.
Crawl Space Care is the Roanoke and New River Valleys trusted crawl space expert. We offer a wide range of services to keep your crawl space clean and mold free. Everything begins with a free inspection and hassle-free estimate. One of our experienced professionals will come to your home, assess your space and give you advice so you can make the best decision for you! Schedule your free inspection and estimate to get started on a mold-free crawl space today.